Monday 31 March 2014

Thoughts

 
Woke up to today with a "screw this shit attitude". Didn't exactly oversleep but I just took my time to actually get to school ( which obviously meant I was late ). Skipped the entire lesson but by Gods grace I discovered my prof had the exact same class at 11.30 (my class ends at 11.00) so I went for the later class instead.

 Just decided that I was tired and it's like everyday is just such a big rush .. What for ? I don't even think many people know. It's just the fact that time is flying out the window just like that I guess. 

They forget what it's like to take nice slow walks, to enjoy the sunshine, to watch the pretty sky. They cram themselves on to public transport, try to finish up whatever they can in a day as quickly as possible and fill it to the brim, forgetting what it's like to sit on your own in the quiet for a while and breathe a little deeper. 

In the media and ingrained in everyone's minds today, is the idea that we have achieved a higher standard of living. I beg to differ though. In the past, work was work and time at home was time at home. No emails no phone calls. Work stayed at work. In the past, there weren't such things as credit cards, people were happier and they shared what they had with one another rather than today's great big desperate race towards money to buy things they can boast about that make them temporarily happy and eventually empty. 

True. Money is in a way correlated to happiness. But it also depends on the way you choose to look at things. You want it. But do you need it ? Do you need to buy sunshine? Or the sound of chirpy birds ? Or the affection of the neighborhood stray cat ? I don't think so. Theses are the things that are of quality that you should and can choose to look at. Of course, I'm not saying that there aren't things that I want and that I'm completely 0% pure and unmaterialistic. But, I'm saying there is more to life than materials, products, items you own. Blabla 

 To add on to the email/work bit, without technology, people actually have time to think their own thoughts, to have time to do things that are perhaps of more quality ? To hang out with neighbors rather than to blob on the sofa surfing the net. With that I don't discount the efficiency and the wonders that come with technology. I myself am very reliant on technology be it for entertainment or for work. ( even blogging ! ). Sharing thoughts and acquiring knowledge has become very much easier. However with that, I always think it's important to strike a balance to remember to appreciate things that are not tied to technology/money like a walk in the park in the good weather or a deep conversation with a friend whilst watching the sunset, versus constantly living life in this great big rush, a rush to earn money, a rush to make full use of time. I mean after all, you only really live once. So what would life be if everyday was rushed and you enjoyed nothing but you have a lot of money ? 

So today, Hans flew back to Germany today to be with his brother who was dying of lung cancer. So I took that opportunity to head to town to buy my art supplies for Viscom. I blew like thirty over bucks on paper haha and I'm broke now damm because I blew 70 over bucks at art friend last Saturday. 

But it was a good day (: hung out the whole day on my own- which was really nice and good - which also probably explains my unusual deep thought ramble here at the moment. 

Thank you for bearing with me if you made it here ! Have a blessed week ahead ! 

2 comments: